Oftentimes friends and family come to me and say, “Ashley I’m inspired to be healthier. I went walking, and I’m eating oatmeal for breakfast now.” My response is always encouraging, but in my head I’m thinking, “Yuck!” Oatmeal has to be one of my least favorite breakfast foods, but I can’t deny the health benefits it provides.
Benefits of Oatmeal
1. Excellent source of Fiber
2. Reduces Cholesterol
3. May reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes
4. May help reduce high blood pressure
The benefits are worth the slimy texture bland taste. Here are a couple of ways to spices up your oats without adding a lot of sugar and fat.
6 Ways to Eat Oatmeal
1. Add cheese – I got this tip from Nifty Eats. She just adds a bit of cheddar cheese on top. It similar to eating cheese grits, but healthier.
2. Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie – Cookies for breakfast? Yes! There are so many variations to the recipe – you can add nuts, dried fruits, flax seed, etc.
3. With apples – http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/apple-harvest-oatmeal-recipe/index.html
4. Smoothie – This is my favorite, and you can’t taste the oats.
5. Seasonal – Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
7. Oats and Yogurt Originally posted November 16, 2009.